This is a delicious light yet filling recipe that a beautiful friend of mine shared with me and gave me an incredible sauce to add to it called "chimichurri". I made this veggie bake for my "Follow your Bliss" workshop and quite a few people asked for the recipe, so if you want to try a new recipe out, here it is.
Ingredients: 4 people
- 80 grams puy lentils
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 beetroot cut in small dice
- 1/2 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp dried, chopped chives
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 2 tbsp water
- 400 g butternut squash thinly sliced lengthways (or Pre-made Butternut squash lasagna sheets)
- 300 g courgettes thinly sliced lengthways
* Optional: Chimichurri sauce (vegetable oil, garlic, 1 bunch of parsley, 1/4 bunch of coriander, chilli flakes, and a pinch of dill. All mixed in food processor)
Note: You can make the lentils and butternut squash from scratch, amazing! but if you don't have much time (like me before the workshop day), you can get the pre made butternut squash and puy lentils, I used the ones from the photo.
- Preheat the oven to 170º (gas mark 3 1/2)
- Place the lentils in a small pan, cover with water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan and squash the tomato into the oil to make a base for the sauce. Add the garlic and beetroot with the tamari, chives and a pinch of cumin. Add the water and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, or until reduced to a thick sauce. Add the lentils to pan with a splash more water and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Layer half the butternut squash and a third of the courgettes in an ovenproof dish and spread over half the lentil sauce. Repeat the layers, finishing with the remaining courgette slices. Brush the courgettes generously with olive oil, then bake for 45 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender. When this is ready, you can brush "chimichurri" sauce or olive oil and parsley on top =)