A very simple recipe which my uncle shared with me when I went to visit him in London, he's isn't vegan but made this yummy dish for us and I loved it! Very easy and quick to make, it less than 30 minutes to prepare and it's packed with proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- 30 grams Dried mixed mushrooms
- 250 grams Puy lentils
- 400 grams of butter beans
- 400 grams of chopped tomatoes
- Chopped shallots, onion or scallion (any of the 3 works perfectly)
- Garlic to taste (sliced)
- Fennel and pepper to taste (grounded)
- 1 tbsp. Tomato puree
- Salt to taste
1. Place the dried mushrooms on a bowl and cover with in boiling water, add a tsp of soya sauce if you wish to give them flavour. cover with a lid for a few minutes.
2. On a pot, fry onion until slightly softer, then add garlic and continue to fry for a few minutes. On a mortar, ground the fennel and pepper and add this to the fried onion. Mix well and fry for two more minutes.
3. Add mushrooms to pot along with the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir and let the flavours combine and simmer for a few minutes.
4. Remove water from butter beans if you have them from a can and add them along with the lentils to the pot. Stir and add some salt. cook for 10 minutes or so =)
5. Serve as a stew or with pasta or rice <3